This was an episode that was supposed to air a while back. I postponed it due to a shooting at my alma mater’s college night at the Borderline night club in Thousand Oaks. I felt that the topic just wouldn’t be appropriate for that day. However, now that we are in a new year, it’s the perfect time to think about your values, your goals, your aspirations, and how to live better in the now. That’s exactly what we talk about in this interview. In this episode, I interview Kate Manser from You Might Die Tomorrow about the concept or mortality awareness and how that can be used to help you make decisions and appreciate the present.
Kate and I had a great talk. Here are some of the things that we discussed during our conversation:
- Kate’s own significant death anxiety after the sudden passing of several young people in her life.
- Her realization that you die in a different way when you succumb to fear.
- Death being completely out of our control can lead to a zeal to live life in the present.
- Remembering your own mortality in a healthy way can help you clarify and bring the important stuff into focus.
- Mortality awareness can help eliminate decision paralysis.
- The deathbed gut check:
- Short meditation in which you imagine yourself on your deathbed and evaluate your gut feeling about potential decisions.
- The connection between mortality and values.
- Approach and exposure to the idea of death as a means to eliminate death anxiety.
Kate is currently working on some books, the first of which will be out June 21, 2018. Please stop by her website to learn more, get your personalized “deathbed meditation”, and pay what you want for a YMDT sticker!
Looking for more advice?
I am starting up an exciting new project over on Facebook. It’s called “Ask Duff the Psych”. It’s basically taking what I do in the question and answer episodes on this podcast and putting it into video format. I will be taking video questions from fans and answering them on my Facebook page. If you’re interested in submitting a video question, you can do so here!
Thanks for listening!
Want to help out the show and Duff the Psych?
- Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes.
- Leave a podcast review on iTunes. These reviews really help Duff reach potential listeners, and he appreciates every one!
- Share the show on Facebook or Twitter.
- You can also buy Duff a cup of coffee, which helps fuel the energy that goes straight back into creating more content for YOU!